Monday, June 11, 2012

Codename: @Boy

Sometimes I'm really creative. Other times I am not. So let me introduce you to Codename: @Boy.

I met him - funnily enough - on Twitter. When I first got my iPhone and got seriously engrossed in Twitter I realised that since I could check my timeline more often, I needed to follow more people. So I found a location-based way to search for people to follow. And @Boy came up. I was with Big Bad then but I still added @Boy because he was cute. He added me back & we chatted a bit.

We figured out we both love football and that we both had significant others. But we got along and joked with each other a lot.

In early 2010 he broke up with his girlfriend. I was genuinely sorry for him.

In mid 2010 I broke up with my boyfriend. He was genuinely sorry for me.

Then he told me he would like to ask me out when I felt ready to date again. After dating someone for nine years, on & off, I was not ready in a hurry. After a few months it all felt a bit easier and we began to talk and laugh and flirt more.

One day I was at a local shopping centre with my cousin and @Boy tweeted that he was at the same shopping centre getting a Boost. My cousin & I, naturally, ran through the shopping centre like crazy people to stalk him so I could see him in real life - from a safe distance. Imagine my surprise when approaching Boost, I hear "Samantha?" & find myself looking straight at @Boy. #Awkward.

I was not prepared to talk to him, I was not dressed to meet him and I quickly became a jabbering, rambling mess of a human being. We stood in the middle of the shopping centre talking for about half an hour before one of us had to go. He tweeted me later that he thought I was cute. Win! But the date invite never came. So my cousin took matters into his own hands & stole my phone. 10 mins of texting while pretending to be me & I had a date lined up for that weekend.

Then @Boy got a cold sore & cancelled on me.

But I decided that if he agreed to go on a date with me (or at least with my male cousin pretending to be me) then he must like me. So one drunken night (Hoedown in the city, actually) I invited him to come over after his night shift at work. He did. We lay in my bed and talked but he still had that cold sore (he wasn't lying) so he didn't kiss me.

Then he came to my birthday party. I was so excited for him to come and I felt like the most amazing girl in the world when he did turn up (by himself, despite not knowing anybody at my party) to celebrate with me. He even drove me to get extra soft drink. But that was all.


The Monday after my party, Halo: Reach came out. I went to the midnight launch at Toombul and he was going somewhere else. But he surprised me by showing up to the same launch as me & spent the next few hours eating maccas & waiting for a video game. So I was so confident he liked me. A lot.

One night we were playing Halo: Reach online when he suddenly said over his headset 'Sam, I feel like maccas. Let's go get maccas." It was 1am or so. But he texted me his address & I went to pick him up. He shouted me maccas & I drove him back home. As I pulled up he invited me in to see his apartment. Yeah. I know, right? But I accepted.

We went upstairs and he showed me around and then we went into his room. We just sat and talked. And he told me he didn't know if he wanted to date me or not. Yeah. Out of left field, much? I was just confused.  He told me we could just casually hook up but I laughed in his face and told him I am not that kind of girl. Because I'm not. We talked some more and then all of a sudden he kissed me. Stuff happened. Not that stuff. I ended up staying the night.

The next day I went home forgetting all about the uncertainty about whether he wanted to date me & focusing on the fact he kissed me and that I spent the night. I figured I had won him over with my delightful, bubbly, positive self. Which was a lovely feeling until I received a text message saying he was sorry but he was not going to date me.

I cried. A lot. Mainly because I felt so stupid and confused. Compass came over that night to comfort me. I cried some more.

@Boy hurt me a lot. But his behaviour wasn't deplorable. Not these days. I understand that I am the over-sensitive girl and that his behaviour wouldn't really have been that hurtful to some other girls. But I am still, to this day, confused as to why he doesn't didn't want to date me. He tells me often how much we have in common. But he usually prefaces it with "It freaks me out" or "it scares me". I'm not sure what it is about me he can't stand and I guess it doesn't matter. It's simply a matter of my own curiousity now, I guess. We're friends these days. I like him a lot. But @Boy's just another chapter in my life that didn't end with 'and they lived happily ever after...'

Love, Princess Samantha xx

No comments:

Post a Comment